• Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate
  • Vernon Gate

1825: The Prison on Friar Gate was eventually demolished and houses and a hotel were built on the site

The prison on Friar Gate continued to be used as the county borough jail for a few years after the one off Vernon Street was erected and known as the Vernon Street Jail.

The one on Friar Gate was bought by the corporation for £3000 as a borough jail and remained as one until the Prison was bought by Thomas Cooper in 1840 for £2000 and built several handsome properties on the site. The Prison on Friar Gate was demolished and houses and a hotel were built on the site. The Cells were converted into cellars in the properties. The building is now a museum and was bought in 1997 by paranormal investigator and dedicated historian Richard Felix. The plain brick building of Friar Gate goal, designed by architect, Mr Irons of Warwick was overcrowded and small.

Back to History


Vernon Gate Latest News

Special education provider and Vernon Gate residents, the SENAD Group are opening a new school in Mackworth, Derby. 

picture

Neo Elegance Skin Clinic specialises in non-surgical treatments that work to combat any signs of ageing, acne, pigmentation and more.

picture

News Archives

Twitter

Current Conditions



Temp: -18°C

Wind: mph

Sunrise:
Sunset: